Skills taught during the Instructional Periods & Worksheet Activities:
1. Pieces Movements & Special Moves
2. Ways to Escape Check
3. Threats & Piece Values
4. Fair Trades & Hanging Pieces
5. Attackers & Defenders
6. Stalemate & Drawing
7. Staircase & IYF Checkmates
Each class is comprised of three periods:
• Instructional Period – Coach Derek or Coach Jared (US Chess Masters) will teach a strategy, tactic, or technique that is appropriate for the class level. Students are encouraged to ask questions and suggest ideas conducive to the lesson.
• Worksheet Activity – Each student will receive a chess worksheet with puzzles and various questions to work on their problem-solving and pattern recognition skills. The Chess Coach will help guide them through the problems and offer instant feedback to help the student realize any mistakes and gaps in knowledge.
• Practical Period – Students get the chance to try out their newly learned strategies, tactics, and techniques and play full games with the other students in the class. The Chess Coach will typically pair up students that will challenge each other to become stronger players. Students are encouraged to practice good sportsmanship and possess a learning attitude whether you win, lose, or draw.
Tuition Fees (click link to register online; walk-ins welcome):
• Premium Membership ($125) – Unlimited Classes & Tournaments at FCA for 30 days
• Gold Package ($150) – 10 Class Package; good for any class offered (Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced).
• Silver Package ($80) – 4 Class Package; good for any class offered (Beginner, Intermediate & Advanced).
• Pawn Package ($125) – 10 Class Package; good for only Beginner Pawn Classes; may upgrade at any time.
Each student receives a Student Stamp Card to track each class attended. Packages are good for 90 days.